Joining the Pack
The Big Bad Woof is committed to providing a good work environment for all of our employees.....what could be better than working with animals all day and helping to improve their lives?
Even though we are a small independent retail store, we are committed to providing a safe and pleasant work environment for our staff, fair wages, and employee benefits including merchandise discounts, and Health Care and Retirement Benefits.
A sales asscoiate will be able to provide exceptional customer service to all customers. Have a wide range of knowledge about products within the store.
Job Relationships: This position reports to the Store Manager or Shift Supervisor.
Essential Duties & Functions:
- Greet all customers and be attentive to them as needed to answer questions regarding the store and its merchandise.
- Direct customers by escorting them to racks and shelves; suggesting items.
- Advice customers by providing information about merchandise.
- Help customers make selections by building customer confidence by offering opinions.
- Be able to assist and offer suggestions based on customer’s needs.
- Assist customers with their packages, if needed.
- Contact customers when special orders have arrived.
- Be aware of people in the store and recognize security risks and thefts.
- Ensure a safe work environment; following all safety guidelines.
- Take immediate action to address any safety concerns that could put a staff member, customer or the organization at risk.
- Clean up immediately after pet accidents in the store.
- Shelves and racks should be dusted/wiped down when needed.
- Sweeping, vacuuming and mopping should be done daily prior to closing.
- Responsible for breaking down cartons, preparing them for recycling, and placing them outside for pickup as boxes are emptied.
- All trash should be taken to the dumpster at store closing.
- Open and close cash registers by performing such tasks as: counting money, separating charge slips and coupons, and balancing cash drawers. Sales associates are not responsible for the actual deposits at the end of the night.
- Ring sales on point-of-service (POS) system.
- Process Repeat Rewards for customers. All customers should to participate in the program.
- Enter/update Repeat Rewards applications into the database.
- Write up and receive special orders.
- Prepare exchanges and returns for MOD to process.
- Keep up-to-date on sales, specials, promotions and store events.
- Assume the duties of the Receiving/Stock clerk when needed.
- Note items to be reordered or replenished on the stock shortage form
- Label incoming inventory and arrange and display merchandise to promote sales. This also includes re-labeling merchandise as needed.
- Organize merchandise on the sales floor sot that it is neat and orderly, properly faced, and note items to be reordered or replenished on the stock shortage sheets.
- Pull items that are missing labels or tags and prepare new labels for re-display.
- Pull damaged merchandise and note for the manager-on-duty (MOD).
- Re-stocking should occur consistently during each shift.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Frequent bending, reaching, kneeling, walking and standing on feet 8 hours per day while performing job functions.
- Frequent lifting of up to 40lbs. with reasonable accommodations.
- Consistently exposed to animals and animal allergens under conditions with limited alterations available.
- Exposure to store freezer.
Qualifications & Requirements:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and task satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- 1 – 2 years customer service experience preferred.
- Confidence working in a fast-paced environment.
- High-energy and ability to multi-task.
- Positive / flexible attitude.
- Commitment to the mission, values, goals and success of The Big Bad Woof.
- Knowledge of animal breeds, behavior, pet foods, nutrition and pet supplies helpful.
- Must be able speak and write in English.
- Basic math and computer skills a must.
- Flexible schedule.
Mailing Address (for snail mail):
BBWoof, DC Benefit Corp
PO Box 5633
Takoma Park, MD 20913
Attn: Human Resources
Thanks and we look forward to hearing from you!
The Woof Team