Q. What type of franchise is available?
A. We franchise the right to establish and operate a retail pet supply store that provides healthy and nutritious foods and products in a manner that is environmentally and socially responsible.
Q. How much does the franchise cost?
A. The estimated total investment necessary to begin operations of a The Big Bad Woof franchise varies depending on the area it is located in, site location factors, etc. We will be happy to discuss this with you in person. The franchise fee is $40,000 ($35,000 for veterans) and includes:
- Operations Manuel ~ How to Operate a The Big Bad Woof franchise,
- 6 - 8 Weeks of on-site at BBWoof Hyattsville for Training for Key Personnel (Owner and managers)
- Collaborative Site Review
- Counseling during store development phase
- Field Consultants and Grand Opening Support
- Fully Loaded & Integrated Inventory Data Base
- On-Site & remote assistance when new store opens
- Franchisee Volume Discounts from Distributors and Vendors
Q. How much is the fee for continuing support services?
A. The continuing services or “royalty fee,” is 5% of your gross sales and is paid on a regular basis set out in the Franchise Disclosure Document and Franchise contract. The fee encompasses some fo the following:
- “The Big Bad Woof” service mark,
- Use of distinctive business system,
- Marketing assistance & Access to our Advertising Data Base,
- Ongoing business development and counseling,
- Field Consultants,
- Inventory Updates completed at Corporate,
- Inventory selection and approval,
- Corporate on going negations for best pricing, and other benefits that come with being a The Big Bad Woof franchise.
Q. Will I have an exclusive territory?
A. You will not receive an exclusive territory. We will grant you a territory (called an “area of primary responsibility” or “area”), defined by zip codes or other physical, political or natural boundaries.
Q. What about advertising?
A. The Big Bad Woof name and reputation is an important part of our business. You will spend a a certain amount on grand-opening advertising during the first three months of operations. You will also spend at least 4% of your gross sales per month on local advertising. In addition, you will be expected to make Marketing Fund contributions of up to 1% of your monthly gross sales.
Q. How much training is provided?
A. The initial training covers all material aspects of the operation of a The Big Bad Woof franchise and is comprised of classroom and on-the-job training. There will also be ongoing training and support available to all franchisees.
Q. What is the term of the Franchise Agreement?
A. The initial term of the Franchise Agreement is five years from the date the Franchise Agreement is signed. The franchise is renewable for three (3) successive terms of five years each, providing you have complied with the provisions of the Franchise Agreement.
Q. What are B Corporations and Benefit Corporations?
We are proud to be a Certified B Corporation™. B Corporations are a new kind of company which uses the power of business to solve social and environmental problems.
The performance standards are comprehensive and transparent. They measure a company’s impact on its employees, suppliers, community, and the environmental. Benefit Corporations operate in the same manner on a state by state basis, and The Big Bad Woof Hyattsville was the first Benefit Corporation to be registered in the United States on October 1, 2010.
Q. What is my next step?
A. Complete the Confidential Franchise Evaluation Form and return it to us. If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at (202) 747-3434. We look forward to speaking with you.